Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

This year we had two other families for Thanksgiving. LIke last year, everyone brought something to share. And I have to say, we all rocked the food. It was delicious. Really, really delicious.


We had:

Turkey- 20 lbs (What was I thinking?)
Yams with pecan and brown sugar topping (Will be making this every thanksgiving from now on.)
Sweet potatoes with marshmallows
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing with sausage and apples (This will also become a standard.)
Scalloped potatoes with kielbasa
Rolls
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Pumpkin cobbler
Wassail

In my defense I only paid $5 for the 20lb turkey, so it was hard to pass up. I was really happy with the way the turkey turned out. I decided to go "old school" and not use a bag. I basted the bird with butter every half hour and put a poultry herb blend, celery, basil from my garden, and salt and pepper in the cavity. The gravy that this produced was amazing. I think it was the first time in my life I didn't have to resort to the store bought back up.

Shawn had bought me a warming station for Christmas a few years ago. I LOVED having that. I was able to put 3 of the dishes on it, and then I used the warming drawer for others. Despite the over abundance of food, we were able to keep everything warm.

Here are some pictures from the day:















No comments:

Post a Comment