Wednesday, December 29, 2010

MMR, How I Loathe Thee

In order to attend grad school, I needed to show proof that I am immune to measles. I figured that this small detail would be the easiest part of the application process. I was so very, very wrong.

My first plan of attack was to call my OB since it was my understanding that you are tested for measles when you deliver. The first call to the office was unproductive as I was told they had lost my lab work. My next call was to my OB in Minnesota, since that is where I had AJ. I spoke to a nice man on the phone who said my records would need to be retrieved since I hadn't been a patient there in some time. I gave him my fax number. But after two days, and not hearing anything, I called back to check in. The order was never done, the release was never faxed and I had just wasted two days.

I decided on a whim to call back my current OB and speak to someone else. Sure enough, they found the test results. The only problem was that I had not been tested for the type of measles the school was concerned about.

I call my mom to see if she had any official record of my immunizations as a kid. There are few guarantees in life, but with two parents in the medical field, I was absolutely positive I had had all my shots. Sure enough, my mom had the dates for me, although no official record.

I didn't think this would be a problem. I merely had to go to the Student Health Services and get tested. The nurse their was nice enough to give me a 5 day waiver so that I could at least register while we waited for the official results, after I assured her I had been vaccinated. But a few days later I got a call from them saying that there was a problem. That because of my age, the first shot that was given to me was not as potent as shots in later years. Basically I was immune, but not immune enough.

So I found myself driving back to campus again (an hour drive if you are keeping score at home) to get a brand new MMR shot. Yippee! And the best part is that I get to go back in 30 days and get another one! Double Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment