Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just to Keep You Guessing. . .

I accepted a job yesterday teaching art at AJ's school.

I was at a PTA meeting on Monday when the Principal announced that she was looking for an art aide for the upcoming school year. I looked at my friend across the room and sort of gave her the "That sounds interesting" eye. Well, the entire room saw the exchange and the Principal approached me about applying for the job.

She told me to go home and apply for the job online and we set up an interview for the following morning. I interviewed at 10am and she called to offer me the position later that afternoon. There were several other aide positions open, but she had had a hard time finding someone who wanted to do the art program. Of course, the art position was the only one I was interested in.

It is officially an aide position. But, I would completely be on my own. I would be creating and implementing the lesson plans myself. And I would be teaching all grades ( k-5). The curriculum is unique. Instead of straight art, it is teaching how art can be incorporated into other subjects like math, science and language arts.

Another part of my job would be to create a school-wide art project that each child would have a part in. And there is still a project from 2 years ago (the last time they had any official art) that I would need to finish and get installed as well. The school wide projects are intended to enhance and beautify the actual school grounds. In the past murals and mosaics have been done.

So, today I will stop by the school, pick up the curriculum materials and begin to plan. It will be a TON of work and the first time I will be working full time in 4 years. But, I am excited. And terrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment