Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Year Ago Today. . .


Charlie finally arrived during half time. He will always be known as our Super Bowl baby. Unfortunately, his birth did not help the Pats win. 

It was decided after some discussion that I should have a c-section. The doctors thought that if I tried to deliver him, there was a possibility of doing permanent damage to both of us. Future sports scholarships aside, that was not a comforting thought. 

He was 9 lb and 10 oz. When the doctors were all standing around the operating table there was a general consensus that a c-section had been the right decision. I couldn't have agreed more. 

This is my favorite picture on the planet. I love the look of pure wonder on AJ's face. He fell in love with his little brother at first sight and hasn't stopped since. 

I was very worried about how AJ would react to having a baby around. After all, he had been the center of the universe for 8 years. But he has adapted and even thrived in his new role as big brother. I love seeing this whole new side to him. He plays with Charlie, comforts him, feeds him, protects him and has even changed his diaper. All without being asked. He is a very nurturing kid, and for that I am thankful.

Charlie cried for the first two hours of his life. Straight. And I remember having a "What the he** have I just done?" moment. But I think he was just getting all of his crankiness out. For the most part he is a pretty laid back and happy kid. And when he's not, we just remind him that we are still making payments on him, and we could still take him back to the hospital at any time. I kid. Mostly. He is healthy and strong and we count our blessings every day. 

Happy Birthday Charlie!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic picture of your boys! I love the giddy look of excitement on AJ's face, like he can hardly wait to play with him when the time comes. And btw, that shirt that AJ is wearing in the pic is now one of Erik's favorites! :-)

    ReplyDelete