Friday, February 13, 2009

Confidence in Consumers

I have a strange little habit. I love to read the warning labels on things. I find it hilarious that whenever we buy anything, the warnings on the package are written for someone who has never lived on the planet Earth. It would never occur to me to use my toaster outside, in the rain, during a lightning storm. But someone, somewhere must have right? The toaster company could not have possibly thought that up on their own, right?

That's why I was shocked when I brought home a take and bake pizza from Target today. The directions told me to bake the pizza at 375 degrees for 16-20 minutes. That's it. 

It didn't tell me to remove the pizza from the box. It didn't tell me to take the pizza off the cardboard circle. It didn't tell me to take the plastic wrap off the pizza before I put it in the oven. And, it didn't tell me that the pizza would be hot when I took it out. I panicked. I needed more guidance. There was a customer service number on the box. Should I call it? Would that be too embarrassing?

 So, I did what any reasonable person would do. I threw out the obviously defective pizza and made chicken. 

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite one of these warnings to date has to be on the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner refil. It says "This is not a body wash." I kid you not! Which means at some point, some moron stood in their shower and pressed the 'start' button on the automatic shower cleaner and proceeded to be sprayed all about their face and nude body with toxic chemicals. Then they called Scrubbing Bubbles and complained that the directions were not clear and demanded some obscene amount of monetary compensation? Only in America...

    ReplyDelete