Friday, February 6, 2009

Best Intentions. . .

This past week my parents stopped by for a short visit on their way to LA. In my mind I had visions of family dinners, card games, trips to the parks, meals out, memorable birthday celebrations, the family relaxing and enjoying each other's company.  And all of that happened- sort of.

But what I forgot when I was having my delusions of grandeur was that it was the middle of the school week, the work week, the basketball season and other odd commitments that make up daily life. 

In a nutshell, here is the good and the bad and the ugly of their visit: 1 dinner with really bad service, 1 night class, 1 walk to town, 1 yummy lunch, 1 round of golf, 1 nap, 2 basketball practices, 1 bio quiz, 1 round of bio homework, 1 spaghetti dinner with meatballs made by AJ and Gran, 1 well baby check- with shots, 1 breakfast out, 1 trip to Hobby Lobby, 1 trip to the park to shoot hoops, 4 games of phase10, 1 really dry turkey dinner, 1 alligator cake, 0 candles, 1 really cranky birthday baby, several birthday presents, 2 blown up computers and a partridge in a pear tree. 




I am not the best hostess, even on my best days, and I am pretty sure that none of my best days occurred last week. I was cranky and stressed about school and Charlie's first birthday.  And even if I wasn't cranky, I am still missing that gene that makes me keep all my matching towels together and my refridgerator well stocked. Luckily, my parents are pretty forgiving and may even come back one day. 

After all, the grandkids live here.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for a crazy, unplanned, hectic fun week with you and your boys!! I have a countdown on already...please, don't match your towels or stock your fridge...there's no fun in that! Hugs to everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're parents look great. although it does look like AJ is drinking a glass of wine and Gran has a sippy cup of milk- mmmmm. I hear you on the hostessing thing- my reality is never like my imagining.

    ReplyDelete