Thursday, May 14, 2009

PSA- Tealights

Last night I hosted bunko. It was a huge turnout and we ended up having 4 tables. It was a ton of fun- right up until I almost burned the house down. 

I was sitting in the family room playing a game and looked up into the kitchen. I noticed that one of the tea lights that I had put on the breakfast bar had a huge flame, and looked like it was about to get out of control. So I tried to blow the tea light out. That didn't work. It actually made it worse. So, my next thought was to douse it with water from the sink. HUGE mistake. The candle exploded. Yup, exploded.  If I hadn't been wearing my glasses, I would probably be sans eyelashes and eyebrows this morning. I escaped injury but did get wax splashed on my forehead and glasses. 

This is the second time in my life that my glasses have saved me from serious injury. About 15 years ago, I placed a pyrex baking dish on what I thought was a cool burner on an electric stove. The burner was still warm and the pyrex exploded into a million shards of glass. To this day I think I would have been blinded if I had not been wearing my glasses. 

Anyhoo- I guess the tea lights from Bath and Body Works have oil in them. So, treat them like you would a grease fire- smother them. 

This concludes the PSA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment