Tuesday, June 26, 2012

History Repeats Itself

When I was a kid, there was a local woman that gave cooking lessons to the neighborhood kids. We would make entire meals from salad, to the main course to dessert. She even made us little cookbooks with the recipes in them to keep. I loved the classes because we were not making silly kid stuff. We made baked Alaska, chicken dinners and lasagna rolls. There are a few recipes that I use to this day. 

I also remember going next door to our neighbor who taught me how to make bread from scratch. That never quite took, because I still can't do it the traditional way. And please do not ask me to make a pie crust. I loved the lessons though, and they helped me foster the love of cooking and baking that I still have. 

I have a friend who has a daughter, who is so much like me, when I was her age, that we are kindred spirits.  She loves to draw, paint and cook. I am giving her a few cooking lessons this summer for dishes that she can take back and make for her family. Today was our first lesson. We made the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls that I make at Christmas time. They came out great. Our future lessons will be lasagna (with homemade sauce), blackberry ice-cream, chicken pot pie and Italian casserole. I am hoping she will use these recipes for years to come. Some of them are very easy, and some are pretty complicated. But what I want her to get out of this is that cooking is fun, challenging and useful. But above all, you can't be afraid to fail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment