Sunday, December 11, 2011

My New Classroom

I started my new job this week. And as I was telling some people, I really don't think they thought I was going to actually show up. That might be because the situation is a little less than ideal. I am taking over a class while the old teacher starts a new class that is a 3rd/4th SEI class. I am taking the majority of her kids. I went to observe her a few times and her kids are a handful. They are very sweet, but chatty. And did I mention we are making this transition a week and a half before Christmas break? What could possibly go wrong? In fact, when I have been introduced to others around the school, I have gotten comments that range from "You are brave." to "So they are throwing you to the dogs, uh?"

The administration were very generous and gave me 3 days to set up my classroom. The district I am now in, is very different than the district I am coming from, with very specific requirements for what you have to have on your wall, etc. I needed every minute of those three days to wrap my mind around all the new information.

My co-workers on the 4th grade team have been very welcoming, very supportive and extremely helpful. I think they understand how daunting this all is. I am ready for the actual teaching to begin on Monday. I am looking forward to getting a routine down.

I wish I had a "before" the before picture. Because when I walked in that first time, there were not even any desks. But it has started to take shape. I am sure I will be scouring yard sales for bookshelves and books, and cubbies and anything else I can think of to make it more homey. But it is a work in progress.

Before:





After:



No comments:

Post a Comment