Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Surgery Is Done!

The surgery went really well. There was a little more going on in there then what the doctor had bargained for, but it all turned out just fine. When he came out to talk to Shawn he told him that I will get relief from problems I didn't even know I had.

And then there was the part where I was rolled into the OR and the anesthesiologist asked me if I was nervous. When I said "Yes" he said: "I have something for that." Anesthesiologists always think they are soooo funny.

Despite the pain from the actual incision, I feel much better already. I guess the best way to describe it is "empty".

The hospital stay was ok. You don't get a lot of rest in the hospital with all the people constantly coming in to take your vitals and make sure you haven't croaked. But the nurses were nice and for the most part, I felt well cared for.

My friend Deborah sent me to the hospital with magazines, waterless toothbrushes, aloe wipes and that "As Seen On TV" thing that allows you to shave without water just by rubbing the thing along your skin. It was a nice little care package and it came in handy. The only thing I wish I had brought was a bandana or something to cover my hair. I wasn't allowed to take a shower and my hair was just beyond gross.

I have a friend who had similar surgery about 4 years ago. She said that I should not even bother bringing a book to the hospital. She said I wouldn't have the attention span to read a book. I showed her. I read the first 11 pages of my book. Four times.

Glad it's over. Glad to be home. And feeling grateful to have such a good support network.

No comments:

Post a Comment