Monday, April 2, 2012

Don't Mess With The Master . . .

As part of his birthday festivities, AJ had two friends spend the night this weekend. They are seriously two of the nicest boys. They are well behaved, polite and just generally nice kids.

The party went well and the kids had fun. They went to the Founders Day celebration, we made tacos and they stayed up way too late and watched inane movies. The next morning, after I pulled a June Cleaver and made everyone pancakes (from scratch) and eggs, AJ said he needed to talk to me. He whispered that the two other boys had snuck out, had taken AJ's Nerf guns and had an all-out war in the wee hours of the morning all through Verrado. Excuse my French, but my first thought was, "Oh, Sh**!"

Now we would have to call the other parents. Would they ever let their kids come over again? We were friends with these people. I go into Shawn's office and talk to him about it. He is in the middle of a deadline for work, so we decide we will figure out what to do when he finishes in about 20 minutes. Meanwhile I am stressed out. I am so disappointed in these two boys who I thought were above doing stuff like this.

While I am waiting for Shawn to finish his work, AJ comes up to me and says: "April Fools!" My first reaction was relief. My second reaction was to tell AJ that he better go tell his father, because we are about to start calling parents.

Shawn decides that AJ deserves a taste of his own medicine and tells him that we have already called the parents. They are very angry and both are on their way to pick the boys up. To really drive the point home, Shawn tells AJ that the boys will be grounded until further notice. Shawn explains that because of his little trick, AJ has now gotten his two best friends in serious trouble.

AJ went pale. Then, he went a little paler. Then, he got really upset.

Shawn and I smiled and said: "April Fools!"

1 comment: