Monday, July 26, 2010

Counting The Days

It was decided at a doctor's appointment a few weeks ago that I should have a hysterectomy. I have a fibroid the size of an apple that has calcified and is sitting on a nerve that runs down my leg.

The pain started last December and I have been living with it ever since. Most days are ok. The pain is uncomfortable but tolerable and I can usually ignore it. But there are a few days every month that it is hard to sit, stand, walk or lay down. And that doesn't leave you with many options. I have noticed that the pain has lessened since I have stopped work for the summer. But at work, I was on my feet most of the day. However, last night the pain was back with a vengeance and I slept very little. It confirmed to me that I am making the right decision.

The positives outweigh the negatives. No more periods, no more supplies, no more cramps, no more birth control, no more sciatic pain. The only negative is. . . Well, I can't think of one right now. And it is dawning on me that if I had just had them take the darn thing out when I had Charlie I would have be about 1K richer by now.

Yes, it is major surgery. But it is not's like there is a chance that they are going to cut off the wrong leg or something. We are moving to a one story house, and Shawn works at home so recovery should be relatively easy, all things considered. And unlike my C-section, there won't be a helpless newborn to take care of while trying to recover.

The only bummer is that because of the long recovery time, and the way my job is structured I had to resign. I had no benefits with the job and was not covered by FMLA. So, my choices were to keep working in pain and have the surgery in a year. Or, simply resign. And to be honest, a huge weight was lifted when that decision was made for me. I was a bit stressed when I thought I was going to have to move and have major surgery all while holding down a full-time job. Now, I can just concentrate on things as they come and not over-extend myself.

I have just been hired to design two children's rooms. So, I will have that to keep me busy in the coming weeks. Although art education seems to be where my heart is, as long as I am doing some sort of art, I am happy.

So things are looking up. And I just need to get through the next couple months and get past the move and surgery. Then my life will be better exponentially.


No comments:

Post a Comment