Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Future Mrs. D.



This is Charlie and his future wife, Allison. Isn't she cute? It has been decided that they will be married and live happily ever after. The fact that it is their mothers that are deciding this, I am sure, will have no bearing on the success of the marriage.

Their family is moving away to DE next week. I am beyond sad. I have spent most of the past few weeks trying not to think about it or burst into tears. Allison's mom, Deborah has turned into one of my dearest friends. She is smart, funny, and the least judgmental person I have ever met. She is a good mom, a loyal friend and she laughs at my jokes. That is a hard combination to beat.

I am sure we will keep in touch. Our relationship is based on texts, emails and phone calls. So the fact that she is across the country should not really change things too much. (Except that we will have to forgo the coffee chats. It is a scientific fact that most problems can be solved over mochas.)

We just had dinner with her family tonight. We had a Thanksgiving in June, complete with turkey, pumpkin pie, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes. It was pretty good (except for the pie that was runny, because I didn't let it cool enough). And I am happy for them that for their next real Thanksgiving, they will be in cooler weather, with real fall leaves and new friends surrounding them. You just can't beat the holidays in New England. I don't care what anyone says. And I am happy for them that they will get to experience that.

But they will be missed. And they better get a house with a guest room.


4 comments:

  1. Such a cute picture. Deborah will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {um you know Delaware isn't in New England, right}

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I said that I was thinking of the original 13 colonies. :) She has only ever lived out west, so it would have been different for her.

    It turns out she is no longer moving. Yeah for me, but sad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a crazy change- but yeah for you!

    ReplyDelete