Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Channeling Fred Flintstone

This week has made me tired. Like, I come home and take a nap every day tired.

A few years ago, the art person did a project with the kids where they painted rocks to look like fish. They are beautiful. And until recently, they have been sitting in carts in the men's bathroom waiting for someone to install them.

At the school we have a courtyard. Two sides of the courtyard are lined with gravel. I started placing the fish there, and they looked good, but incomplete. The fish needed water to swim in. So, I am having the students paint rocks in various shades of blue. Lots and lots of rocks. I go load, distribute and supervise the painting of 4 shopping carts full of river rock a day. Then after they are painted, I go around and collect them to varnish them. And then I finally install them in the courtyard.

I have done this for the last 3 days. Tomorrow is the last day of the students doing the actual painting. On Friday, I will do my best to get the majority of the project installed. I have been very lucky in that a good friend of mine has come to help me the last two days with my afternoon classes. They are the youngest students and it is SOOO much easier when there is another adult around. The hand washing and desk washing alone is enough to keep two adults busy.

I have paint in my hair, paint on my shoes and I think I walked by a kid holding a paintbrush business end up, because I now have a swatch of paint on my butt. But it has actually been a good learning tool in a "don't let this happen to you" kind of way.

So if you are looking for a place to donate this season, the art department is now accepting donations of baby wipes, magic erasers and Old Navy gift cards.

1 comment: