Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wildlife


Charlie and I took a walk today and here are some of the animals we saw. 

 I think the birds are quail, but I am not sure. They have a plume that sticks out on top of their heads. I have never seen them in a tree or in flight.  Usually, you are trying to avoid hitting them as they scamper across the road (a la Partridge Family), in front of your car. 

 Those of you who don't live here probably don't know how cool it is to get a picture of a jackrabbit. They are fast! I was amazed that he stayed still long enough for me to take a picture. Jackrabbits are everywhere here. If you take a walk at dusk, you can usually see over 20 in an hour. 

A few months ago, a small red fox was even in our neighbors yard. Other animals I have seen on my walks have been a coyote and a javelina. But I didn't stick around to try to get pictures. 

















2 comments:

  1. i don't know what a javelina is :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a wild pig. SUPER ugly. And they can be kind of aggressive too. Luckily, they are afraid of us just as much as we don't like them.

    ReplyDelete