Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Christmas



This was Charlie's first Christmas. I am pretty sure the whole thing was lost on him. But that may be because we didn't let him touch the tree, the ornaments, the decorations or eat any of the food. Who knows. 

He ended up going to bed without opening most of his gifts. (And when I say open, I mean his brother opened them for him.) But I think he liked the lights and the all his new toys that lit up. . . and made noise. Lots and lots of noise.

Having a second child has made me appreciate my first child even more. I let AJ decorate the tree pretty much by himself. And even though I sat in the corner, in the fetal position repeating "I don't have control issues. I don't have control issues", I let him do it.  And the tree was beautiful because an 8 year old thought it was beautiful. And that is kind of the point. 

I am sure there will come a day when I can have the "perfect tree".  It will be color coordinated, perfectly balanced, properly proportioned, and be hung with hundreds of hand blown glass ornaments. But I am guessing I will miss this tree- where the tinsel was hung so tightly the tree looked like it was being held hostage. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! what a great description. yes I dream of a two tree household, where one tree is gorgeous and perfect and the other is covered in home made ornaments. good for you for letting go. Loving your blog so far!

    ReplyDelete