Tuesday, December 6, 2016

I Am Over Putting My Boob in a Hole

My doctor decided that she wanted more biopsies done to see if a lumpectomy was still viable, or if I need to have a mastectomy. I have had a biopsy before. I really was not that nervous about it. And that should have been my first clue that something was going to go terribly wrong.

I don't remember the name of the first type of biopsy. I had to lay on a table, on my stomach and put my boob through a hole in the table. (This also how a breast MRI is done- which I had last week. Fu times. ) The doctor then worked under the table, using God knows what type of machine, to guide the biopsy. She first gave me the numbing medicine. It stings a bit but no big deal. The next step is to take a larger needle, and put more numbing medicine inside the breast, where the sample will be taken. It really isn't that bad. Things were going well, until she took a sample from an area that had no numbing medicine. I screamed. Loudly.  After that, she still had to take more samples. To say there were trust issues at this point, would be an understatement. Meanwhile, I am told to hold perfectly still because the machine is guiding the biopsy. Markers were placed to guide future procedures. (No, they cannot be used to track me. No, I will not have to explain them to the airport security for the rest of my life. I asked.)

After that biopsy is over I was taken to another room where, this time, I was told to lay on my back. They did an ultrasound guided biopsy on the other breast. This I had done before, and was much more comfortable with. More markers were placed.

THEN, after the second biopsy, I had to have a mammogram to ensure that the markers were in the right spot, etc.

So the jury is still out about what type of surgery I will need this summer. Hopefully we will have a plan soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment