Sunday, April 7, 2013

Founders Day

One of the reasons I love living in our neighborhood is the yearly Founders Day celebration. The big event is the concert. This year we had Steven Page (from BareNaked Ladies) performed. He was really good and everyone had a great time. 

There was a variety show, bouncy houses, and food venders. One family had this huge bounce house on their lawn. They live in the center of town (literally), so they opened it up to all the kids for a bit. Charlie had a blast. He also met a friend from school there. 



Charlie's daycare had a booth there where the kids got to use glow in the dark chalk to make a picture.


Here is a self portrait of me and my date for the night. Shawn was playing soccer and AJ had dumped us for his friends.

This is Nicole is the director of Charlie's daycare. She just had her first baby.

There was another bounce house at the other end of the event. In this one, you stood on these inflatable cylinders and threw a huge ball back and forth. We stood in line for a very long time, but Charlie liked it.


After the concert, we went to my friend Jen's house and had dessert and appetizers. It was fun, except for one snafu. Her husband, Richie is a die-hard Michigan fan. He had to work, so he had recorded the Michigan game. The DVR stopped recording the game when there was 45 seconds left in the game. He was not happy.

I had made cheese-filled olive balls, but they didn't really turn out well. After making these things for 20 years, I thought I could eyeball the ingredients. It turns out I can't.  So, I made another appetizer that I just sort of created with things I had. It was actually chalk full of vegetables and the kids loved them. Charlie has named them Rollies.





Rollies

1 package of cream cheese
2 cups of fresh spinach
1/2 can of diced tomatoes, drained (I think fresh tomatoes would be even better.)
1 cup mozz. cheese
1 heaping tablespoon of garlic 
1 can of Pillsbury crescent sheet

In food processor, chop up the spinach and then add everything else until you get a paste. Spread the paste onto the sheet. Roll the sheet up so that it is rolled the long way. Slice the roll and bake at 375 degrees for about 13 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment