Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fire Drill

On Thursday and Friday, I attended a two day training at my district office for their official behavior management plan. My district has it's own conference center, complete with a cafe. It is actually rather ingenious. They even rent the space out for other non-district events on the weekends.

I attended the training with 3 other teachers from my school along with my assistant principal. The second day of training went much like the first. There were some PowerPoints, worksheets to fill out, etc. Then right after lunch the fire alarm went off. There were two doors to choose from. One door went right out to the parking lot (the logical choice), and the other door went to the courtyard. The minute the alarm went off, my assistant principal starts yelling "Get the babies!!!" I looked around the room. There were no babies. However, she was the assistant principal so I figured she knew what she was talking about, and followed her to the courtyard. Sure enough, there was a staff daycare across the courtyard from where our meeting was being held. We went to daycare and all ten of us either grabbed an infant or lead toddlers across the street to the meeting place.

It was a bit surreal to go from not being responsible for anyone to being responsible for small children who you did not even know were there. Luckily, it was only a drill. Everyone was fine, unless you count the poor kids that were woken up from their naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment