Friday, March 4, 2011

Turning a Corner

I have almost made it to spring break! One more week to go.

This master's program is, without question, the hardest thing I have ever done. I leave the house by 6:30 a.m. and usually do not get home before 6 p.m. And sometimes it is 7 p.m. Three days of the week, I am in the classroom teaching and the other two days I am in class myself. After getting home and putting Charlie to bed, there is always a few more hours of work to do. There is always a large project or paper due at any given time. There are hundreds of pages to read a week, and there is always a test to study for.

As you might guess, my favorite time is when I am in the classroom. The kids have really melted my heart and with both rotations, so far, I have wanted to stay longer.

Despite the long hours, the stress, the frustrations and the frequent mini mental breakdowns, I am glad I am doing this. Most things of value are hard. And if that is true, this experience is priceless.

There is no way I could be doing this without Shawn. He has always been more of a family man than most men I know, but he as stepped up even more so now. He has made countless dinners, done loads of laundry, and taken the boys out of the house so I could study. And there is no end in sight. His support may become even more needed this summer as I teach summer school while taking 4 classes. And his tasks may have to become more varied. In fact, I am willing to bet there may be a lice check in his future at some point.

But his support remains unwavering (at least until I give him his first case of pink eye) and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment