Sunday, October 3, 2010

Iron Skillet Pie

Here is the recipe: ( I use the term losely.)

6 gala apples
juice of one small lemon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt ( I have a grinder and I twisted it 4 times)
a little corn starch
sugar and cinnamon to taste (probabaly about 1/2 C of sugar and 2 TB of cinnamon, but I did not measure)


Peel and thinly slice apples. Add lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, salt and corn starch and mix together in a bowl. Allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.

Place about a tablespoon of vegetable oil or melted butter around the bottom of a medium sized iron skillet. Place store bought pie crust on top. Add apple mixture, dot with butter and then place second pie crust on top. Make 4 small triangles in top crust to vent.

bake @ 350 for about an hour.

When pie comes out brush with melted butter and then sprkinkle a little sugar on top of crust.

*************

I used gala apples, which are not the traditional apple to use for pie. However, because I used lemon juice and salt, the pie was not too sweet. It was actually pretty well balanced.

The crust was really, really good, and I am sure the iron skillet and small amount of oil had a lot to do with that. Butter would have been even better. I will be making all future pies in the iron skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment