Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Saving the Planet- one point at a time

Last Friday, I took my LEED TM exam. LEED TM stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. It is a voluntary certification program, based on points, that certifies buildings (and other things) as Green.

The program covers such things as water conservation, indoor air quality, landscape design, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), off-gassing, water contamination, salvaged materials, alternative energy sources, heat island effect, community density and, of course, good old recycling. What I listed above is just the tip of the iceberg.

It was fascinating to study, and I learned a ton by just preparing for the exam. It is such an important part of future building and neighborhood development. And it is, without question, the future of design.

As much as I love design and making things pretty, I need a higher purpose. And by passing this test, the door has been opened for me to do that.

Now, if I can just find a job.



No comments:

Post a Comment