Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dear Parents (A Few Things You Should Know)


  • This is going to sound harsh, but you need to hear it. And it is better that you hear it now, in kindergarten, than later on. Your child is not the center of the universe. Mine is. Did I say the universe? I meant my universe. Guess what? Your child is the center of your universe too. Keep this in mind when you ask me about a random missing marker, or why I didn't see your child take a spill on the playground, or why I don't know if your child finished all of his milk at lunch. I simply cannot be in 21 different universes at the same time. 
  • This is the only job I have ever wanted to do. I played school when I was a kid. I watched Little House on The Prairie, and dreamed of working in a one room school house. Even when I was the student myself, I was studying what the teachers did, and making notes for when I would one day be in front of the class. 
  • That said, please, please, please assume my good intentions. I think about my class (your kid) when I am driving to work. I think about my class (your kid)  during my lunch break, my ride home, and on the weekend.  Don't tell my own kids, but my class is also usually my first thought in the morning too. Why? Because I take this job very, very seriously. I am constantly tweaking, reorganizing, trying new ideas, all with the hope that I will make this school experience better, more motivating, more fun for the students in my class. 
  • I understand that I get the privilege of seeing students do a myriad of things for the very first time. Watching how the students grow day to day is why I get up in the morning.  However, I also feel strongly that my job is to make my students more independent, more responsible, more resourceful, and simply a better citizen than when they first came to me. So, please do not do their homework for them.  Don't roll your eyes when I make them say "please" and "thank you".  And know, that without a doubt, they are more capable than you think they are. Seriously. 
  • Finally, there is no one that is going to go to bat for them, worry about them, have dreams for their future, beat off a wild dog, or shield them from a gunman like you. . . and me. So please keep that in mind. We are on the same team. I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment